Saturday, June 14, 2014

Review: Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

Original Atria cover 2012
New Atria cover May 2013
Rating:  ★★★★★ stars
Date published: September 18th, 2012
Publisher: Atria
Synopsis: Hardships and heartache brought them together…now it will tear them apart. 

Layken and Will have proved their love can get them through anything; until someone from Will’s past re-emerges, leaving Layken questioning the very foundation on which their relationship was built. Will is forced to face the ultimate challenge…how to prove his love for a girl who refuses to stop ‘carving pumpkins.’



What I Thought:

After falling in love with Will and Lake in Slammed, I was happy to get more of them, but not so happy knowing they were going to face all sorts of trials as a couple.  One of my favorite things about this book was the point of view.  While Slammed was from Lake's point of view, Point of Retreat is from Will's.  As much as I loved being in Lake's head, I loved being in Will's ever more.  I got to see some of my favorite Slammed moments through his eyes, which was huge.  

The biggest plus about seeing everything from Will's eyes was learning first hand how sincere and deep his love for Lake was.  While Lake might have been the one pursuing Will in Slammed, in Point of Retreat it was Will holding them together.  He did everything and anything in his power to be there for Lake in her time of need.  I really felt that changed the whole tone of the book. Lake spent most of the book withdrawn and angry.  She never really left the relationship, but there was a strain on it, and Lake wasn't emotionally able to deal with it. Will really stepped up and I adore him for it.  

I loved seeing Kel and Caulder again.  Those two boys are just as mischievous and adorable as they were in Slammed, maybe more.  I still wanted to give them big hugs and tell them to never change.  Of course I didn't get my wish 'cause the guys started to notice girls, but one of the swoon/laugh moments I had was finding out why they were suspended from school. I think it spoke highly of how Will and Lake were adapting to their new roles and raising their brothers.  There were also new people introduced in this book. I don't think the book would've been the same without Sherry and Kiersten.  Both brought a gravitas to the book that elevated it to a totally different level.

Of course poetry is an important part of this book, but it wasn't as big a focus as the first one. Of course one of my favorite lines from this series come from a poem used at the end.  Once again Colleen's poetry is moving and flawless, just like this book.  I honestly thought I was going to have a problem writing a review for this book, but it just basically wrote itself. For me, Point of Retreat will forever be a book that evoked so many emotions, touched my soul, and made Colleen Hoover one of my must buy & must read authors.  Honestly, you'll feel the same after reading any one of her books.


Purchase links:

About Colleen Hoover
I love music. LOVE music. Namely The Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Pink, Eminem. I have eclectic taste? If you have any recommendations, send them my way!

I'm addicted to diet pepsi and could tell you in a taste-test which restaurant it came from. It's a serious addiction, I tell you. 

I get stoked whenever I get a message from goodreads saying I have a new friend request...so request me, dangit! 

If you want to know when I have new books out or just want to be inundated by random, pointless blog posts, follow me at www.colleenhoover.com 

Avoid my Twitter at all cost. It's propaganda. https://twitter.com/colleenhoover


*A copy was received from the publisher for review.  All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any manner for them.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

About